As we all know being a new mom brings with it so many things. The happiness of finding out you are pregnant. Watching your tummy grow and grow and smile every time you feel a kick or flutter of movement within you. The first time your baby is placed in your arms, and you are so overjoyed with love and happiness that you would do it all over again in a heartbeat. But as time goes on and you watch your child take their first steps, say their first words, learn to dress themselves and feed themselves, you notice that your stubborn little "baby pooch" has been there through it all as well, and will not make itself scarce.
This condition is known as Diastasis Recti. Where your lower abdominal muscles have stretched so far apart during childbirth, that you actually have a gap between those two muscles. Your core, now doesn't hold the ability to hold everything where it belongs. FACT #1: Did you know that most core/ab exercises actually make it WORSE?! I know right! I've been doing planks, crunches, sit-ups, working my obliques and all the rest of that good stuff in hoping to tighten up that stubborn pouch of fat, but I've just been making it worse. FACT #2: Did you know that 95% of women who have experienced childbirth, also suffer from this condition but are unaware? And that the other 5% are the rare lucky ones that get to walk out with a taught tummy and there pre-pregnancy skinny jeans.
To check to see if you have Diasastis Recti, Click Here :)
THERE IS HOPE! I have a mild case, where I am only about 2-3 finger widths, instead of other people out there who are 6/7 finger widths. If you have a bigger width between your abdominal's, then your doctor may suggest surgery as an option. But you can go around this. I was told to get a tummy splint, or belly band and wear it 24/7 for at least 4 weeks and only take it off to shower, and wash the band itself. Another is to do special exercises [ and if you do it with the band on too it's like killing 2 birds with 1 stone ] These exercises are used to change your alignment, strengthening your transverse abdominal and to help bring them back together so your insides aren't sticking out :) What a lovely mental picture and thought, my apologies.
I've found a few exercises on Google & Youtube which you can do at home, you do them maybe 3 times a day every day until you start to see an improvement. You can't just go and jump into them though, if you can't flex your TRV then there's no hope in working out and it actually doing its job. Try to see if you can flex your TRV muscles by GENTLY pulling your belly button into your spine. You should not be holding your breath, or sucking in, or any of that crap which you've probably been doing for a few months now. I tried hiding mine in my clothes, which didn't work out so great.
Figure out if you have mild - severe Diasastis. Take the chance to get back that flat stomach of yours, and get a stronger core to hold yourself up higher, get rid of back problems, be able to have more strength to do more :)