Sunday, 9 February 2014

Momma Monday: How to toddler-proof your floor vents



I'm sure I'm not the only mother out there who has had this problem. Where our children decide to show their adventurous side and explore all the small things they can find between the slits of our floor vents, or even taking them off to make sure that what they have in their hands WILL fit down that mysterious hole in the floor. I've tried everything to stick it to the floor, to pry my daughters eyes away from how much fun she's having shoving all her toys and things down there, and have come to an impasse. Last week I actually had to pry the vent away from the floor, go into the basement, flip the metal tubing upside down and shake out everything but the kitchen sink out of it.

I found barbie clothes, 5 soothers, socks, a WHOLE bathing suit, 12 mega blocks, 2 bottles [yes bottles, which happened to have a very gross liquid sitting inside them], crayons, and half of her play kitchen utensils & plastic food in there too. I'm still surprised any heat was actually traveling through there. I'm surprised she even got the vent off the floor considering I hot glue gunned it to the floor. Impressive for a 2 year old.

Now I think I have the king of all solutions. I did a little researching, and came across multiple solutions. I have all new hardwood flooring upstairs, so I really didn't want to do something drastic that would destroy it and my husband freak out haha. My solution was getting mesh netting [ the strong stuff for like screen doors ] cut a piece to fit the opening of your floor vent, fold the rough edges underneath and staple gun it to the the inside of the vent. This way if they do shove something down there it'll catch everything and won't go all through your vents. Next put your vent back on, and find either 2 big nails or screws and screw or nail it to the floor. Presto. Since then, my daughter's left it alone because she can't pry it off, and there's only so much stuff in her room she can shove down there when I'm not around, mostly the fridge magnet letters but now I don't have to go fishing around for god knows what down there, and I know that she won't cut herself on the direction flaps in the bottom or anywhere else on it, because it's metal. Winner winner chicken dinner!

Hope I can be of some help to those mothers who just are really fed up of cleaning out their duct work haha!

1 comment:

Krysta said...

I need to do this. My toddler took out the vent in her room and tossed it around, and then attempted to empty the contents of her dresser drawers down the hole during nap time...luckily one of her shirts blocked the smaller items like socks from sliding in further. Her dresser is now positioned over the vent until we have a solution. I might try it with heavy duty tape instead of screws.