Monday, 6 January 2014

Momma Monday: Mother Knows Best



Two years ago I got pregnant with my first child & then 11 months after she was born had my 2nd. I didn't want to take prenatal classes because I didn't see a need for them but my mother forced my hand into going. The way I saw it was if I really had a question, why couldn't I just google it, watch a video, read an article, or hell pick up a prenatal book that's available in any store anywhere, instead of paying someone a 130$ to talk my face off for an hour about how to be the "proper" parent.

By the time I had given birth to my daughter, I was complete basket case. I worried over nothing and everything, and had anxiety attacks on a frequent basis. I wouldn't allow anyone in our home who was sick. I never let her out of my grasp because I feared if I left her too long somewhere her head would start to warp. Any small noise in the night I would rush to her side fearing something was wrong when really she was just sleeping. SIDS becomes a mothers worst nightmare. You can't have any bedding like bumper pads, pillows, blankets&quilts or even stuffed animals in the crib. SIDS. Don't let your child get too warm during sleep, but keep them warm, but not too warm or your baby can overheat (WHAT?!) I even went out and spent a lot of money on sleepers and onesies that had a temperature dial integrated into the fabric so if there body temperature got over a certain amount it would change color. I got all the gadgets for anything and did everything by the book. I ate healthy & exercised throughout my whole pregnancy, took my prenatal vitamins, got sleep, drank plenty of liquids, everything. I inherited anxiety throughout this pregnancy, and it's not something you need on top of having postpartum depression as well.

I was so upset with how books, media, and those pesky prenatal doctors and nurses think they know EVERYTHING about how to raise a child, yet the majority of them don't even have children. Go figure.

I sat down with my mother and had one of the longest talks about children, their upraising and much else. Back when my mum was raising us she had all the stuff in the crib, she left us in the bouncy chairs and whatever else for hours even if we fell asleep. She used to put whiskey/rum on our gums when we were teething. Put baby cereal in our bottles to help us sleep through the night to give her 5 minutes peace. My mum even has a picture of her breastfeeding my brother with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth, and smoked through 1/4 of being pregnant with me because she didn't know she was, and none of her kids died, or had anything wrong with them.

All in all I am so sorry about this rant it just maddens me to be told that I am an inadequate mother because I don't do things by the book, or whatever. My kids are healthy, doing there own thing, and nobody should ever feel like they are raising there kids wrong.


There is no way to be a perfect parent, 
but there are a million ways to be a good parent.

No comments: