Wednesday 27 November 2013

Weightloss Wednesday: Benefits of Water Fasting


There are more than a dozen people who are against fasting in general. It is a hugely debated discussion on many aspects and forum boards across the internet. That fasting is used as a "quick fix" and that the weight you may manage to lose will come back tenfold and you'll eventually just never keep it off. I'd like to give my own story on the matter.

I started my journey at 196lbs January of 2013. After the birth of my two girls I had put on 70lbs of baby weight. I worked out everyday, started cut back on sugary drinks/pop, sweets, and greasy food. Drinking manly water and getting 8 hours of sleep every night. In 3 months I lost 5lbs. A measly 5 friggen pounds. I felt like a beached whale, I hated going outside or to the beach. One day I looked in the mirror and just said, today's the day I stop being fat and unhealthy, and start living a better lifestyle, not just for myself, but for my family.

RULES OF WATER FASTING

  1. you pick a timeline weather it be 3 days, 7, 10, 14, there's some who do it for 30/40 day, there just crazy and wish I had the willpower they do haha
  2. 3 days prior to AND after your scheduled fast, try to consume mostly water, raw fruits/veggies, lots of protein. Skip this step and you'll regret it. Trust me, learned the first time..
  3. during your fast you are to only consume WATER. no pop/coffee/juice and NO FOOD! and if you 100% need to seriously eat something, your limited to an apple or a stick of celery (since it's mostly water and apples are full of antioxidants anyways)
  4. track your progress. easily said than done. measure yourself before you begin (neck, waist, chest, hips, thighs etc) and weigh yourself every morning as soon as you wake up every day of your fast.  
  5. avoid intense exercise during your fast. do light walking, or a light yoga class if you wish to exercise, don't over exert or over-do it or you could get really dizzy. 
  6. the most important rule, CONSULT YOUR DIETICIAN/NUTRITIONIST/DOCTOR first before beginning a fast like this. 
The point of a water fast is to cleanse and flush out the toxins trapped in your body. Yes, the liver and kidneys usually do this but this is how my nutritionist explained it.

Our body is constantly digesting food. The only break our bodies get is when we sleep, even then we`re still digesting food from dinner, or maybe even a late night snack. The reason we eat sometimes is to fuel our bodies, give us energy, but 85% of that energy goes towards the breakdown of food. Mind-blown. It makes SO much sense. Like why you feel so tired after a huge meal or wake up in the morning feeling like you got no sleep after eating a decadent and heavy dessert, because our body is still digesting, still breaking down whats left of last nights main course.

I have done 3 water fasts since March 2013. During my 3 days, I lost 2 1/2 lbs. My 7 day one I lost 5lbs. During my 10, I lost.. 15lbs! AND kept it off. I work out 3 times a week now, I eat healthier, I drink more water than I use to, I get my 8 hours EVERY night. I had so much energy during my fasts I felt like a whole new person. I've lost a total of 21lbs with water fasting, clean eating (85% of the time) and a slight change in my lifestyle.I feel more like myself, and to be able to fit better into clothes, to look into the mirror and be happier with who you are is just so invigorating.

If you've thought about water fasting seriously look into it, talk to your doctor, prepare yourself for it, STAY COMMITTED, and in due time you will see results, you will feel so much better and you will have that swift kick in the butt all of us really need sometimes :)

No comments: