Thursday, 29 August 2013

How to clean a microfiber couch

My husband and I this year bought two new microfiber couches this year. We used to have a VERY large leather sectional with reclining seats, cubby holes, the whole shabam. I LOVED that couch, but we had to sell it because it took up just too much space in our tiny little apartment we used to live in at the time. Now we have two lovely couches, that are both microfiber and holy crap do they ever get dirty. Our "store representative" that sold us the couch or more so explained how great it was that it was water repellent and stain repellent and easy to clean, and I was so thrilled. Little did i know his eyes should've been brown because he was full of shit up to his eyeballs. Everything clings to these couches, including baby puke, spilled milk from leaky bottles and sippie cups, late night snack crumbs, dirty dog smell, and my husband gross sweat stains from coming home from the gym and thinking it's OKAY to sit on the couch before showering. Not cool dude, just not cool. SO I've always been on the hunt for the next best way to clean these bad boys to make them look (as close as possibly) brand new, and if i ever get a miracle, to smell like new. I've used baking soda, rubbing alcohol + water, scrubbing it, cloth scrubbing it, actual microfiber/micro suede cleaner, and some elbow grease. Thus, i have come to the conclusion the best way I found that did one hell of a great job was making a paste of baking soda and water (even add a bit of rubbing alcohol in there, and with a scrub brush scrub it into the stains, let it dry, vacuum up the baking soda, and then with a damp rag, clean up the rest of it that didn't get picked up by the vacuum. Some stains of course were still slightly visible, but overall my couch looked revamped and I was a happy mama.

Then I saw this post by Chris and Robin's Nest and just blew my mind. If you have a microfiber couch, i suggest you take a look at this and give it a try yourself. I did it this way and my couch looks fantastic, and it even smells 100x better. That and I doused it in half a bottle of febreeze fabric fresher 20 minutes ago haha. This woman is a genius!

No comments: